The Best Crispy Onion Rings You've Ever Had!
Crispy crunchy onion rings are an incredible treat. They are actually sooo easy to make at home. The secrets are the mashed potato flakes and the Panko bread crumbs. Hmmm, what else could you bread with this?
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Corn Starch
- 1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Onion Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 2-3 Tbs Instant Mashed Potato Flakes
- 1 cup Club Soda ( or Beer )
- Panko Bread Crumbs
- 2 Large onions such as Vidalia or Spanish
- Oil of choice to fry in
- Pre heat oil to 325-350 degrees - use a thermometer to be sure. High oil temps will burn these quickly. You can use any type of oil desired.
- Mix all dry ingredients together (not the Panko Bread Crumbs).
- Add Club Soda (or Beer) to make a batter
- Peel the onions, and cut to make them into "rings"
- Dip the onions into the batter
- Pat the batter coated onion rings into the Panko Bread Crumbs to fully coat
- Gently drop the onion rings in the 325-350 degree oil and cook until golden brown, turning to ensure complete cooking
Thanks to my childhood friend George for refining this recipe to perfection.